I found a recipe for vegan version of pierogi ruskie. I wondered what they would be like. In this recipe there is tofu instead of cottage cheese. Vegan pierogies are just as superb as the classic ones.
For the dough
3 cups flour
1 cup hot water
For the stuffing
400g medium firm tofu
2-3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 big onion, finely chopped
salt and pepper
1. Peel, cook and strain potatoes, then mash and leave until they cool off.
2. Strain tofu and mash it. Pour lemon juice and mix precisely.
3. Sauté chopped onion.
4. Combine all ingredients. Season to taste with soya sauce, salt and plenty of pepper.
5. Make the dough, form and cook pierogies. (How to make pierogies)
*6. You can drain pierogies and sauté until brownish and crunchy.
7. Serve with sautéed onion.