What you need (for 4-5 portions):
½ onion, diced
1 garlic clove, sliced
1 can chopped tomato
vegetable oil (enough to fill a pan and deep fry)
fresh basil leaves
100ml olive oil
vegan cheese, grated (you can add as much as you like)
salt to taste
1. Slice the aubergines and fry in vegetable oil. Drain on paper towel.
2. Heat the olive oil in a pot. Sauté the onion and garlic until soft. Add passata, chopped tomatoes, basil leaves and salt.
3. In a casserole dish add a thin layer of tomato sauce and then add the fried eggplant, forming a complete layer. Then add another layer of sauce over the eggplant. Now comes a sprinkling of the grated vegan cheese.
4. Start on the second layer (if you've layered your eggplant horizontally in the first layer, go vertically in the second layer). Finish off the dish with a layer of sauce and a good sprinkling of cheese.
5. Bake the dish at 200 degrees for about 40 minutes.
6. Leave it to cool so that the layers can settle and make serving each portion easier.