The two main ingredients of this dahl are urad beans and red kidney beans. These two types of legumes give the dish different textures and colours.
It can be served with some bread and greens.
1 cup dried whole urad beans + 1/2 cup dried red kidney beans, soaked overnight in 7 cups of water
2 teaspoons salt
3 tablespoons oil
2/3 cup chopped onion
2 tablespoons finely grated ginger
¾ cup finely chopped very ripe tomatoes
¼ teaspoon cayenne
1. Drain the beans in a colander, discarding the soaking liquid.
2. Return the beans to the pot with 6 cups of fresh water and bring to a boil. Cover and cook on low heat for 1 hour.
3. Uncover and continue cooking gently for an additional hour.
4. Add salt and stir to mix.
5. Leave on very low heat.
6. Put the oil in a medium frying pan and set over medium-high heat. Add the onions and stir and fry until the onions begin to brown. Put in the ginger and stir once or twice.
7. Add the tomatoes and cayenne. Cook for 2 minutes, or until the oil begins to separate from the tomatoes.
8. Empty the contents of the frying pan into the pot with the cooked beans and stir to mix.
9. Turn the heat down to low and simmer gently for 1 or 2 minutes.
10. Serve hot.