Dahl is one of the dishes you just can't go wrong with.
This is a very simple recipe, easy and quick to cook, very filling, lovely in texture, aromatic, and full of nutrients. You can feed the whole family at little cost.I like red lentils for its softness. They go well with different vegetables, spices, and herbs so they can be served in so many different ways.
3 cups red lentil
1 big courgette, chopped into half rounds
400g okra, sliced into even-sized pieces, stems removed
a handful fresh coriander
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 red chili pepper, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 big tomato, peeled and chopped
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 teaspoon paprika powder
salt to taste
1. Rinse the lentils well with cold water. Place in a saucepan. Add 3 cups of water or vegetable stock. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until the lentils are soft and all the water is absorbed (about 10 minutes). Put aside.
2. In the meantime sauté the vegetables until golden-brown. Put aside.
3. Heat a little bit of oil in a deep frying pan or wok. Add the onions, garlic and chili pepper and sauté until the onion is translucent. Add the spices and salt. Mix and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the chopped tomato, mix and cook for further 2-3 minutes.
4. Pour the cooked lentils into the frying pan, along with sautéed caourgette and okra. Mix well and cook for about 5 minutes over medium heat. Taste for flavour and adjust seasoning as required.
5. Finally, add chopped coriander to garnish and switch off the heat.
6. Serve hot with chapattis or rice.