This creamy soup has a very delicate, slightly sweet taste. Fresh chives and pepper go well with the soup as they give a distinctive flavour.
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
3 thin slices fresh ginger
1 medium potato, peeled and coarsely diced
500-600g pumpkin or butternut squash flesh, cut into 1-inch cubes
4 cups vegetable stock
2 bay leaves
salt to taste
freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup almond unsweetened milk
fresh chives for garnishing
1. Put the oil in a large pot and set over medium-high heat. When hot, put in the onion and ginger. Stir fry for 2-3 minutes, or until the onion bits just begin to turn brown at the edges. Turn the heat to medium and sauté for another 2 minutes.
2. Put in the potato and pumpkin pieces and stir once or twice.
3. Put in the stock, bay leaves, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Cover, lower the heat and simmer gently for 45 minutes.
4. Remove the ginger slices and the bay leaves.
5. In several batches, blend the soup to a smooth puree in a blender. Return the soup to the pot in which it had been cooking, add the milk and stir to mix.
6. Reheat if necessary and garnish with chives, if desired.