Once, when I was doing some shopping in the corner grocery, I saw a mouth-watering cake with a lot of cream and coconut on top. If I wasn't vegan, I would have bought it instantly. I went back home and cooked it myself instead. This is how I made it.
- for sponge:
1½ cup flour
¾ cup sugar
½ cup vegetable oil
1½ teaspoon baking powder
¾ cup soya milk
¾ cup desiccated coconut
- for cream:
1 can coconut milk, chilled through the night
½ cup dates, chopped
2 teaspoons sugar
1 cup desiccated coconut (or more if needed)
- for frosting:
200 - 250g icing sugar
2-3 tablepoons lemon juice
2-3 tablespoons warm water
1. In a blender combine separated coconut cream (without water), dates, 2 teaspoons sugar and desiccated coconut. Blend until smooth and place in a fridge.
2. In a bowl combine ingredients for the sponge. Add milk and mix. It should have the consistency of crème fraîche.
3. Pour one third into a cake tin and bake for 20 minutes in 180 degrees. Do the same with the other two thirds.
4. When the sponge cools down, spread the half of the cream. Place another piece of sponge on top. Spread the rest of the cream and cover with the last piece of sponge (the top of the cake).
5. In a bowl mix lemon juice and water. Add icing sugar gradually, stir constantly. Spread the frosting on top of the cake. Decorate with desiccated coconut and sliced almonds.