225g dried penne or other short pasta shapes
4 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra for brushing
1 large onion, chopped
400g chopped tomatoes
2 teaspoons dried oregano
80g grated vegan cheese, grated
3 tablespoons breadcrumbs
salt and pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C.
2. In a saucepan cook the pasta until tender but still firm to the bite. Drain, return to the pan, cover and keep warm.
3. Cut the aubergines in half lengthways and score around the inside with a sharp knife, being careful not to pierce the skins. Scoop out the flesh with a spoon. Brush the insides with oil. Chop the flesh and set aside.
4. Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan. Fry the onion over a low heat for 5 minutes, until soft. Add the garlic and fry for 1 minute. Add the chopped aubergine and fry, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and oregano and season to taste with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes, until thickened. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the pasta.
5. Brush a baking tray with oil and arrange the aubergine shells in a single layer. Divide half of the sauce among them. Scatter over the cheese, then pile the remaining sauce on top. Mix cheese and breadcrumbs and sprinkle over the top.
6. Bake for abot 25 minutes, until the topping is golden brown. Serve immediately.